On Food: The Five Contemplations
In 2008, I spent a few days at the Deer Park Monastery in Escondido, CA. One of the things I came away with was five contemplations about food. I enjoyed them very much and hope you will also find them interesting and/or useful.
- This food is a gift of the whole universe, the Earth, the sky, numerous living beings, and much hard work.
- May we eat in mindfulness and gratitude, so as to be worthy to receive it.
- May we transform our unskilled states of mind—especially our greed—and learn to eat with moderation.
- May we eat in such a way as to keep our compassion alive, reduce the suffering of human beings, preserve our planet, and reverse the process of global warming.
- We accept this food so that we may nourish our brother- and sisterhood, strengthen our Sangha, and realize our ideal of serving living beings.